Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Art of Silence

I haven't mentioned it before because I have learned the hard way if you want something with all your heart you shouldn't mention it 'cause just as bad as you want it there is someone out there who doesn't want you to have it. I have plans to go to Korea and teach English as a Second Language (ESL). I feel as though this is a once in lifetime opportunity and I am lucky to have the chance to even be considered to do it. I have known for a long time that something was missing from me as a person, I have never been quite happy. I truly believe this because I know there is more to life and I feel like I should be experiencing it. So here I am about to traipse off to another country, continent, time zone.
Which leads me to my point, I haven't told anyone. Just my mom and one closet of the close friends. Why? I claim to be able to make my own decisions and to live my life as I so choose, so why can't I bring myself to tell the rest of my family and friends before I hop the plane? Is because verbalizing it more than a few, will bring it one step closer and everything I have known for my whole life one step further away? is it because of my belief that anything you really want you contain inside, until it has arrived and almost passed me by? Is it because I have not completely made up my mind to go and don't want to face anyone if I change my mind? Is it because I wouldn't be able to stand of the scrutiny and possible censorship if I declared my unconventional decision from the rooftops?
Is because I justcan't face the fact that I will be moving away from the support system I have known my entire life?
So what I am going to do? Am I just going to hop a plane and be gone without a word to the wise or wave to bewildered? Maybe, I am just not a strong enough person in general......? Am I taking the Art of Silence too far? Am I not believing in believing enough?

No comments: